Scratch cards are one of the things that just seem to have been around forever. If you were to ask many younger gamblers, they would probably estimate that they have existed in one form or another for at least 100 years. They work in a unique way that may not have been possible 100 years ago, but surely they existed in a different form before then?
Surprisingly, no. Because while these cards feel like they are as old as many of the other lottery games we enjoy, they were actually created in the mid 1970s. But these were just instant-lottery tickets, and it wasn’t until 1987 that scratch cards, as we know them today, were invented.
This means that anyone above the age of 30 is older than scratch cards!
What is perhaps more shocking is that they are no longer a popular way to gamble, which means their time in the spotlight was short-lived. Scratch cards were very popular throughout the 90s and when they made the transition to online casinos in the naughties, in seemed that their reign would continue.
But that wasn’t the case, with pokies, table games and more overshadowing them. Still, if you look in the right places and on the right software (Microgaming lead the way when it comes to virtual scratchies), then you shouldn’t have an issue finding them.
Scratch Card Tips
There is very little that we can tell you that will help you beat these games. However, there are still a few things that you can do to increase your chances.
The main one is to make sure that you know the odds. All casino games have odds, showing you how much of a chance you have at victory or how frequent the payouts are. With scratch cards, these are usually displayed on the card. You will be told that you have a “1 in X” chance of winning, and you should look for the cards that have the lowest number in place of this X.
You should also not try to get too caught up in the bonus features, because while fun, they are usually there to hide low odds. Try not to get too caught up in jackpots either, especially progressive jackpots. As with pokies, these need to take small amounts from each player in order to build the jackpot and to get that money they reduce your odds of success. This is acceptable with pokies, which are usually played for very little at a time and have many big payouts, but with scratch cards it can quickly dissolve your balance. In fact, even the slightest reduction in odds could spell disaster for scratch card players.
If you insist on playing these games then you can simply reduce your stake, treating each play like a spin on a pokie. You won’t win much, but if you still get a shot at the jackpot, then that might be all you need.
Available Scratch Cards
Many scratch cards are simple and very similar to the ones you will find in your local. However, some are a little less simple and a little more interesting, including the following from Microgaming.
- Bill and Ted: This is based on the second Bill and Ted film, which was so poor that the scratch card is actually better. There are some images from the film and some great features here.
- Born of the Dead: This is our favourite scratch card. The layout and style is simple, but the graphics and the setup is fantastic.
Where to Play?
Royal Vegas Casino is one of the best places to find virtual scratch cards. Not only does this casino use the Microgaming software, where you can find all of the games mentioned above, but it also offers a number of other features that make it the standout casino for online gamblers:
- New Member Bonus: As soon as you signup to Royal Vegas Casino (assuming you do it via an affiliate link or you input the correct code where needed) then you will unlock a new member bonus. This is paid out during your first three deposits, totalling a maximum of $1,200.
- Loyalty Program: There are very few loyalty programs on online casinos, which is a huge shame as these provide the perfect incentive for online gamblers everywhere. You can find such a program on Royal Vegas Casino, one where you can turn regular play into big prizes, cash back and more. The more you play, the more points you generate and the more prizes you can unlock.
- Fortune Lounge: Royal Vegas Casino is also a member of the Fortune Lounge Group, which is a collective of trusted card rooms, casinos and other gambling sites. You don’t have to do anything special to remain a member here. You don’t have to pay anything or even play anything. But you can trigger a ton of extra bonuses for your Royal Vegas Casino activity.