At Safe Casino we do what we can to provide you with all of the latest news concerning the best (and the worst) pokies and online casinos. There is only so much we can cover though, which is why we have compiled links to our favourite sites below. All of these sites contain useful information on gambling in Australia, from official sites that look at the laws and regulations, to sites that look at gambling statistics in general, many of which make for a surprising read.
- Gambling and Lotteries: This is the official site of the Australian Government, and one that looks at the gambling and lottery regulators in the country. You will find three major links on this page, pointing to a list of the biggest gaming and gambling authorities, as well as a list of the lottery and gambling scams that you should keep an eye out for. This may be an official site, but it is very interesting nonetheless and the information contained within is very easy to digest, with limited jargon and nonsense.
- Problem Gambling: In a country where gambling is so widely accepted and practiced by a larger percentage of the population, it is no surprise that problem gambling is such a big issue. This is one of the main problem gambling organisations in the country, and one that offers a wealth of statistics on gambling addiction and on gambling in general. There is also a resource kit, one that can go a long way to helping those who have issues with gambling addiction and those who think they may be heading down that path. Just because you are free from the grip of addiction now does not mean that you always will be, so it is important to understand the signs and to keep an eye out for them.
- Interactive Gambling Act of 2001: The Interactive Gambling Act of 2001 concerns online gambling in Australia. Passed in 2001, this law is still very much relevant today, as this is what governs the legality of all online gambling. If you want to setup an online gambling site, or if you simply want to know what is legal in your state, then this is worth a read. It’s not a brief document and some of the legal terms may be a bit confusing, but it’s an interesting read nonetheless and one that is important to all gamblers in this country.
- Australian Parliament: This link points to an official Parliament site, looking at gambling policy and regulation in Australia. If you want to get a better grip on gambling in this country, to understand what is legal and why, then this is a good place to start. This article is a little dated, but it is still very much relevant. There are also plenty of other articles and informative content on this site, so be sure to take a look around when you have the time.
- Act Gambling and Racing: This is the official site for the Gambling and Racing commission in Australia. They are an independent body, providing admin and regulation to the gambling and racing industry. Their site makes for an interesting read, covering everything you needed to know about gambling legality in this country, including casino regulation, licenses, rules, fees and more.
- The Guardian Article: We often mention the fact that Australians gamble and lose more money than residents of any other country. This is not something we just made up, it is something that is backed up by statistics and census reports and something that you can read-up on yourself in this article, published by the Guardian newspaper. It makes for very interesting reading, and as the Guardian is based in the United Kingdom, it’s also interesting to see what other countries think of us and our habits.
- Gambling Stats: This page points to some statistics on gambling that were gathered by the local government of Queensland. These statistics are relevant up to and including the year 2014, which makes them fairly relevant. If you want to better understand gambling in this country, then this is a great place to start. This is not the only publication either, as these statistics have been in production since the mid 1980s and will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future.